BrightNest's mission is to make homeowners happy.

FREE, START NOW

BrightNest's mission is to make homeowners happy.

Our tips and tools will shape up your home & simplify your life.

Be Aware of These 5 Electrical Dangers

Large_electrical_dangers

WHY DO THIS?


Fifty-three percent of residential fires involve electrical wiring, which is intricately hidden behind the faceplates on your light switches. Flying sparks are obvious, but lots of other electrical danger signs are more subtle. Keeping an eye out for these five warning signs can mean the difference between fire prevention and a fiery disaster.

15 MINUTES
EASY

How To:

Note: If an electrical fire does start, don’t reach for water! It may seem like a natural reaction to douse fire in H2O, but water conducts electricity, so you might get shocked! Plus, throwing water on an electrical fire can actually make it worse. Instead, use an extinguisher that’s designed for electrical fires to stifle the flames.

Need a hand? If you're interested in hiring an electrician, check Angie's List to find a service provider in your area.

  1. 1

    Loose ends on extension cords. If your extension cord has loose ends, or you’ve bandaged an extension cord with electrical tape, it’s time to replace it. Damaged cords may have exposed live wires that lead to shock and fire hazards.

  2. 2

    Tripping GFI outlets. A ground fault circuit interrupter (GFI) is an outlet typically located in kitchens and bathrooms – often within six feet of a water source – that prevents people from being electrocuted. These outlets immediately stop the flow of electricity (and “trip”) when they sense the slightest change in the current. If your GFI starts tripping repeatedly, you probably have an electrical problem or a worn-out GFI outlet receptacle. Contact an electrician to inspect the problem. To learn more about GFIs, read: Test Your Ground Fault Interrupter.

  3. 3

    Wobbly ceiling fans. If your ceiling fan isn’t rotating evenly, your device either isn’t correctly mounted to the electrical box, your blades are unbalanced or your blades are warped. We recommend always calling an electrician to fix damaged wires and electrical boxes.

  4. 4

    Inappropriate bulb wattage. Using a bulb that has a higher wattage than recommended is a fire hazard and may overheat the light fixture. If you’re dealing with a fixture with multiple bulbs or a strand of lights, check all of the bulbs individually and replace them as needed. Be consistent with the bulbs’ wattage in this situation.

  5. 5

    Warm faceplates. If your faceplate is warm to the touch, you probably have an oversized electrical load operating on that unit. Monitor any warm faceplate you find. If the problem persists, or the faceplate becomes hot to the touch, call an electrician. Note: The exception to this rule is a dimmer switch. Unless it’s too hot to touch, it’s okay.

comments powered by Disqus
Already a member? Sign In

WELCOME TO

BRIGHTNEST

Take our 60 second Home Quiz to

unlock custom tips and local offers!

Which of these do you have in your house?

(Please select all that apply)

KIDS
PETS
NEITHER

What else do you take care of?

(Please select all that apply)

EXTERIOR
POOL
BASEMENT
LAWN/GARDEN
GARAGE
ATTIC

Does your home have a...?

A/C
BOILER
FURNACE
WATER HEATER

What kind of tips do you want for your home?

SAVVY
CLEAN
GREEN
HEALTHY
HANDY
CREATIVE

You're almost done!

Sign up below to see your custom tips.

Next