No two homes are alike. So, we
hand pick the best tips and tricks
for you and your home. Try it >
Save your favorite tips and
schedule your favorite tasks.
We'll remind you! Get going >
We've got your back. Keep all
your activities and home details
in one spot! Start now >
Is your coffee table looking a little bare-bones these days? Are you always playing hide and seek with your remote? Or, do you just want an excuse to be served breakfast in bed? For less than $10, you can transform an old baking sheet into a unique serving tray that’s functional and beautiful. Here’s how to make your own fabric serving tray:
You’ll need: A yard of fabric (pick one that matches the room’s décor), spray adhesive, scissors, plastic knife, a baking sheet, felt (optional).
1. Cut your yard of fabric large enough so that it completely covers the front of your baking sheet and a small part of it can be wrapped around the backside.
2. Liberally spray the front of the baking sheet with spray adhesive.
3. Place your fabric in the center of your baking sheet. Quickly (before the adhesive dries) smooth the fabric onto the tray. Start from the top and work your way down, pressing out any air bubbles.
4. Take your plastic knife and press it into the edges and corners of the baking sheet until they become well defined.
5. Flip the tray over and spray the back with adhesive. Pull the fabric taut against the edges (for crisp lines) and then fold the remaining fabric onto the back of the tray. Start with the top two edges, and then fold the bottom two. If you have any extra fabric, trim it away with scissors.
6. If you want to make your new serving tray slip-proof, cut a piece of felt for the bottom of the tray and attach it with the spray adhesive. Bonus: This will help hide any remaining fabric edges, creating a more “finished” look.
7. Let it dry, and you’re done! This tray will look great on your coffee table or ottoman, and can hold anything from remote controls to cups of coffee. (Using it for breakfast in bed is optional, but we recommend it!)
Already a member? Log in