If you’re looking to add some style to your home without much hassle, try grabbing a can of spray paint. You can completely change the look and feel of a room with a little color, and spend far less time and money than painting all four walls. For around $10, you can morph a garage sale find into a work of art, or grandma’s old table into a modern statement piece. Plus, you can spray paint any surface, from plastic and wood, to glass and laminate. We love these bold chandeliers. Without changing the walls, these bright fixtures turn an ordinary white room into a modern masterpiece.
Photo: apartmentjeanie | Etsy
Here are a few tips on how to get the best results for your spray paint project:
1) Do not spray in humid conditions. The moisture will make the paint sweat, and you’ll have an uneven surface.
2) If you’re painting on bare metal or wood you’ll want to use a primer to increase the paint adhesion. Spray paint primer can be found with the spray paint cans at your local hardware store.
3) Protect yourself! Remember, spray paint is in an aerosol can, so paint outdoors whenever possible. It’s a good idea to wear a mask and gloves.
4) Shake the can for a full two minutes once you hear the mixing ball begin to rattle, and repeat the shake for 10 seconds after each minute of use.
5) Spray 10 inches from your project. Don’t try to do the whole project in one continuous motion. Instead, release the spray button after each pass! Apply your coats in thin layers to avoid drips - You can always add more coats for a deeper color!
Hint: for small projects, use a turntable. Cover it with aluminum foil, and turn it as you spray. You won’t have to touch your project, and you’ll get an even coat!
Here are some more fun ways to add color to a room with spray paint.