You spend 1/3 of your life with your head on your pillow, but have you ever cleaned it? You probably toss your sheets in the washing machine every week or so, but it’s just as important to de-funk your pillows! You don’t have to wash them as frequently as your sheets – just twice a year – but doing so will help keep your fluffy pillows germ-free. This way, you won’t be sharing your bed with bacteria and other undesirable bedfellows.
Photo: OSusannahs | Etsy
1. Check the label to make sure that your pillow can be machine washed (most can be).
2. Toss two pillows in the washing machine at a time. This way, the machine will stay balanced while it spins.
3. Use mild liquid detergent rather than powder detergent – powder will leave residue on your pillows.
4. Run your pillows through the rinse cycle twice to make sure that the detergent is completely removed from the pillow.
5. When you throw your pillows in the dryer, also add in a couple of tennis balls wrapped in white socks. They’ll help to refluff your pillows!
6. Make sure your pillows are completely dry before taking them back to your bed. Even the slightest dampness can lead to mold.