You may love your pet. But, you hate their hair. It’s OK. It gets here, it gets there. Let’s face it, you find it everywhere. Not to mention, around 10% of us have allergic reactions to pets. While animal hair is not considered to be a very significant allergen, the hair or fur can collect pollen, dust and dander that can trigger a reaction. Since the constant shedding isn’t going to stop anytime soon, here are some easy ways to deal with cat hair on your couch or dog hair on your new black dress.
1) Combing your pet’s hair every day will remove loose hair and limit shedding. Tip: Cover your pet’s brush with old nylon pantyhose. Pull a square of nylon down on the brush until the pins poke through the pantyhose. After you brush your pet, just pull off the nylon and the hair will come off with it.
2) Rubber gloves attract pet hair. Yellow, rubber household gloves or latex surgical gloves work well. Dampen the glove, then gently run the gloved hand over upholstery. It will pull loose hair onto the glove. Wash and dry the gloves, and repeat the process until you’re satisfied. Vacuum up the piles of leftover hair.
3) Lint rollers work as well on furniture as they do clothing. They pick up loose hairs from the sofa and cost as little as $1. You can find specialized lint rollers for cat hair in pet stores. They come in larger sizes than standard rollers.
4) If there’s no lint roller handy, wrap sticky tape (or masking tape, or duct tape) loosely around your hand with the sticky side up. Pat down your furniture and any areas where your pet hangs out to trap loose hair.
5) If you have pet hair all over your clothes, put the dry clothes in the dryer for 20 minutes to allow the lint trap to collect the hair off of it. If you’re looking for something to do with all of that leftover lint, here’s a fun project: Upcycle This: Dryer Lint.
Your best bet for minimizing pet hair is to give your pet a bath on a regular basis. A clean pet has a healthier coat, which means less shedding. If you’re worried about your pet’s dry skin, use a gentle oatmeal shampoo.