This week, BrightNest Facebook fans voted on which DIY project they’d most like to make, and this faux iron mirror won! Do you know what common homebuilding material makes great faux-iron circles? If you guessed PVC pipe, you’re right! Thanks for voting and enjoy your new mirror!
Photos: Thrifty and Chic
We love this DIY PVC mirror project from Alicia at Thrifty and Chic! Note: While Alicia cut her own PVC pipe, we recommend getting this done by a professional. Most local hardware stores, including Home Depot, will cut PVC pipe for little to no cost! Ask the professional to cut your pipe in ½-inch segments, and you’re ready to DIY your faux-iron mirror.
For this project, you’ll need: PVC pipe (cut into ½-inch segments), spray paint, glue gun and a small mirror (available at your local craft store)
1. Bring your PVC pipe to your local hardware store and have it cut into ½-inch segments. The number of pipes you cut is up to you! The more pipe segments you have, the larger your mirror will be.
2. Lay your pipe segments down in your desired shape. You can lay them out side by side in a circle or have them overlap and form two layers. It’s up to you!
3. Next, use your glue gun to glue your pipe circles together. Let the glue completely dry before moving to the next step.
4. Once the glue has completely dried, it’s time to spray paint like a pro! Spray paint your pipe whatever color you’d like, but if you’re going for the faux-iron look, we recommend you paint your PVC pipe bronze or black. For best results, do multiple coats of paint, and let each coat fully dry before you spray the next coat. Let your paint fully dry in a well-ventilated area.
5. Once your PVC pipe is painted and dry, it’s time to add your mirror! Place your mirror facedown and then center your PVC pipe configuration on top of the mirror. Hot glue your PVC pipe onto the back of the mirror. Let it sit for at least one hour to give the glue time to fully dry.
6. You’re done! We won’t tell anyone your faux-iron mirror is actually made from PVC pipe if you don’t! It’s our little secret.