BrightNest's mission is to make homeowners happy.

FREE, START NOW

BrightNest's mission is to make homeowners happy.

Our tips and tools will shape up your home & simplify your life.

Why Join?

We’re All About You

No two homes are alike. So, we
hand pick the best tips and tricks
for you and your home. Try it >

Super Easy Scheduling

Save your favorite tips and
schedule your favorite tasks.
We'll remind you! Get going >

Peace of Mind

We've got your back. Keep all
your activities and home details
in one spot! Start now >

Quest_blue

Do you have a washing machine?

Sized_qw_icons-04

Left the Gas On? Keep Calm and Do These 4 Things!

Coming home to the smell of rotten eggs is never fun, but you have a gas stove, there may be a bigger problem: you’ve left the gas on.

When this happens, it’s easy to panic. Your palms start to sweat, scenes from blockbuster-movie explosions flash through your brain and questions flood your mind. “What do I do first? Should I call the fire department? How do I safely turn the gas off?”

Stay calm! While leaving the gas running on your stovetop is dangerous, if handled properly, you can resolve the issue in just a few short minutes. Here’s how:

Safety note: If you smell gas, but didn’t leave the stove on, you may have a gas leak, which is very serious! First, get everyone out of your house immediately and report the leak to your local gas company. For more information about what to do if you have a natural gas leak, read this guide by Angie's List.

1. Avoid Flames and Electricity

Even a small flame or spark can ignite the gas in your home. So, avoid anything that creates a flame. Don’t turn any lights or appliances on or off, either.

2. Turn the Gas on Your Stove Off

Usually, this is as simple as turning a nob on the stove. When you do this, be careful not to accidentally light a burner.

3. Open Doors and Windows

You need to let the house ventilate for a few hours to ensure all the gas is out. If the smell is faint, a few doors and windows near your kitchen should be fine. If it’s potent and has spread to rooms outside of the kitchen, open all of your exterior doors and windows.   

4. Get Everyone out of the House

If the natural gas smell is really strong, it’s best to get everyone out of the house for a while (including your pets!). The smell should dissipate within a few hours. If it doesn’t, contact your gas company and report the problem – there may be a more extensive leak. If anyone is suffering from nausea, headaches, dizziness or flu-like symptoms, call 911 immediately, as these are sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

In general, it’s a good idea to have your gas stove inspected annually (especially if it’s an older appliance). For more information about gas safety in your home, read: Check the Gases in Your House.

comments powered by Disqus
Bn_logo_white

Like us so far? There's more to love...


Already a member? Log in