You spend a third of your life sleeping in your bedroom, so you want it to be a safe-haven. However, there are a few areas of the ole boudoir that may be harming your health, so your safe-haven may not actually be entirely safe. Detox your bedroom with these tips so that the next time you’re catching some Zs, you’re not catching a cold, too!
Photo: Cloud Hunter Co.
Your bedroom is the last place you want to find mold, but it’s also easy to keep it away. Just open your shades and let the sunshine banish the mold! The heat from the sun’s rays will naturally remove extra moisture in your bedroom and significantly decrease the risk of mold or fungus growth. Open your curtains as soon as you wake up so that you can start the bedroom detox process first thing in the morning. If possible, it’s also not a bad idea to pull back your duvet and let the sun shine onto your pillows and sheets a little bit.
You probably wash your linens on laundry day, but what about your pillows? If you don’t wash them regularly, your pillows may be harboring a plethora of germs and bacteria. Regularly cleaning your pillow is one of the easiest ways to reduce the toxins in your bedroom because it will help keep dust mites and other allergens at bay.
Many store-bought air fresheners and candles contain formaldehyde and benzene (a carcinogen), which are both toxic to humans. Instead of using artificially scented candles and sprays, keep the toxins out of your bedroom by making your own eco-friendly air fresheners. Your bedroom will smell great and have fewer toxins floating around!
Do you have trouble falling asleep, even if you skip that last cup of afternoon coffee? If you’re using any electronics during the hour before you hit the hay, they may be disrupting your natural sleep habits. Exposure to the artificial light from digital screens stimulates brain activity, making it harder for you to fall asleep. Consider keeping the TV out of your bedroom and limiting your computer use (or at the very least, dimming your screen) as bedtime approaches.
Some types of interior paint are made with volatile organic compounds (VOC). According to the EPA, VOCs are a big source of indoor air pollution and have a range of health risks including cancer, liver damage and kidney damage. Plus, interior paint made with VOCs leaves a strong odor that can linger for a few weeks, even after the paint has dried. The next time you paint over the crimson red in your bedroom, choose a low- or no-VOC paint.