No two homes are alike. So, we
hand pick the best tips and tricks
for you and your home. Try it >
Save your favorite tips and
schedule your favorite tasks.
We'll remind you! Get going >
We've got your back. Keep all
your activities and home details
in one spot! Start now >
Is it time for a change? Think pink, brown, blue or orange. Color is one of the quickest, and least expensive ways to give a room a facelift. While it may not impact home value, a fresh coat of paint can go a long way to lift your spirits during the dark days of winter. Here is some color inspiration and a few technical tips to ensure your paint job is perfect:
1) Always take a damp rag and wipe off the baseboard and trim prior to painting to prevent dust from causing an uneven surface. Bathrooms and kitchens tend to have very dirty walls, so you may need to wipe down more surface area in those rooms.
2) Use paintable caulk to fill the gaps between the walls and trim. Paintable caulk is typically made of acrylic latex, which holds paint beautifully versus a silicone-based caulk.
3) Cover or remove all door hardware to avoid damage from wayward paint splatters. If you remove the hardware, put the elements in separate Ziploc bags so you remember what goes where.
4) If used correctly, primer can help extend the life of your paint job and save you time and money. Here’s a well-done primer on primer from TLC: Why do I need to use primer?
5) Don’t pull your paint straight from the can. Rather, use a roller tray (for a roller) or a small bowl if using a brush. By “decanting” the paint, you will keep the can free from impurities. Now for the fun part. If you’re primed to paint, but need some color inspiration, look no further than Design Seeds. Jessica Colaluca, a self-described color obsessive, designs color palette’s based on photographs, combining interesting colors in a beautiful and creative way. We enjoy browsing through her blog, www.Design-Seeds.com, for different color options. Check it out an tell us - what’s your favorite palette?
Already a member? Log in