Chalkboard paint is a crafty way to makeover a wall or everyday household objects. Instead of forking over cash for expensive pre-mixed chalkboard paint, make your own with this easy recipe:
This DIY recipe is customizable - so feel free to play with different colors and finishes.
What you’ll need:
How to make and apply the paint:
1) Mix 1 cup of paint with 2 tbsp unsanded grout.
2) Make sure the paint is well-mixed (it will still be a little gritty).
3) Mix small batches of paint at a time, even if you’re working on a large project. Stir the paint often because thick paint dries quickly.
4) Make sure your wall or surface has been primed and is completely clean and free of holes, nails and dust.
5) Paint several coats for the optimal chalkboard paint project. Let each coat dry between painting the next layer for the smoothest and most authentic chalkboard finish.
Then you can get your chalkboard on! To make your chalkboard wall or object last a long time, use lightweight artists chalk, not dense school-type chalk. The artists chalk will make a little more dust, but it is much easier to erase and will keep your chalkboard paint looking new.