Labor Day is almost here, and that means it’s time for a weekend getaway! If you’re planning a trip this weekend, you’re in the same boat as about 33 million other Americans. But what about the house or apartment you leave behind? It’s always a good idea to take a few precautions around the house before you go on vacation to deter thieves and prevent damage.
This weekend, why not go above and beyond? Grab your most valuable items – like your passport or that Tiffany’s necklace – and put them somewhere extra safe. Here are our top five super-secret hiding places around the house, in ascending order of paranoia.
1. An envelope taped behind a painting. This one has been done in more than a few movies, but it’s still golden. Just make sure your painting is hung properly so that it doesn’t stand out.
2. A tampon box. Male thieves will be confused and embarrassed by its presence. Just make sure you leave enough “contents” in there so it looks legit.
3. Inside a bag of coffee. Tuck it away in the back of your pantry or cupboard for extra security. Only the most caffeine-addicted thieves will think to look there. Just make sure you put your valuables in a plastic bag first so they don't mess with the flavor of your brew.
4. A metal jar buried in your backyard. If it was good enough for pirates, it’s good enough for you. Just make sure you remember where you bury it. Don't have backyard? Try a potted plant instead.
5. Behind an outlet. Not a real outlet, mind you. But a special, secret-agent level wall safe that looks like an outlet. This affordable contraption is a subtle, elegant way to stash your valuables.
What are your favorite secret hiding places? Or maybe that's one thing you'd rather not share.