When it comes to buying a home, here’s a nice theoretical order of things:
Problem is, #4 is just a wee-bit fictitious. There are going to be annoying things in any home – it’s simply part of being a homeowner. How can you cope? At least take solace that you’re not alone!
Here are a few common home-owning downers that we can all relate to:
1. You skimped on the bubble wrap. Your movers skimped on caution. The dishes you received as a wedding gift are now broken.
2. Your basement smells like a wet sock.
3. You see a mouse for the first time scurrying across the kitchen floor like a rodent-invader of doom.
4. A train rolls by your house every night at exactly 11:15 PM and toots its horn like Thomas the Tank Engine. This wakes you up. Every. Night. (These tips may help you sleep.)
5. The hot water faucet in your shower goes from arctic blast to scalding hot in the space of a millimeter. You’ll need surgeon-level coordination to get the perfect temperature going each morning. Eventually, you just get used to minor burns.
6. The cable jack is three rooms away from the place you actually want to watch TV. It’s gonna take a drill and some serious cordage to get this right.
7. Your central A/C system creaks and squeaks a lot in the night. You become 95 percent sure you’ve moved into a haunted house.
8. You meet your neighbors and they’re just a little…off.