Despite the best laid plans, it’s sometimes hard to keep every drawer, nook and cranny in your home organized. To help you out, we’ve compiled five easy ideas involving magnets, a piece of metal and a little glue.
Photo: GneissSpice | Etsy
How else can you use magnets to organize your house?
1. Sort your spices. Keep your cumin and coriander organized by placing magnets on the bottom of your spice containers. Attach them to a sheet of steel on your kitchen wall, a stainless steel backsplash or your refrigerator! To see more spice organizers, read: Pass the Salt Five Uncommon Uses for Spices. If DIY isn’t your thing, you can buy this magnetic spice rack.
2. Organize your jewelry. Organizing your bracelets and bangles with magnets is easy. All you need is an old-fashioned tray made of metal and a few magnets. We love the decorative tray Casa Sugar found at a thrift store, but yours doesn’t have to be as fancy. Pop a few magnets on it, hang up your jewelry and you’re done! For jewelry organization ideas, read: 5 Creative Ways to Organize Your Jewelry.
3. Hang your knives. Keep your sharp knives away from curious children and pets by attaching them to a magnet. If you haven't figured it out already, metal sticks to magnets, so all you need to do is install a strong magnetic strip along your kitchen backsplash. It’s important to use a strong magnet, otherwise you might have sharp knives falling like rain in your kitchen!
4. Magnetize chalkboard paint. Next time you paint a surface with chalkboard paint, coat it with magnetic primer first. Follow it up with chalkboard paint, and then your surface will double as a magnet board! Note: Magnetic primer is not as strong as a regular magnet surface, so you’ll likely need 2 to 3 coats of the primer before you begin your project.
5. Organize your makeup. Display every eyeshadow you own with your own makeup magnet board. First, purchase small circular magnets and hot glue them to the back of your makeup containers. Then just stick the magnets on a metal tray or piece of stainless steel. Tip: When the makeup runs out, the hot glue makes it easy to peel the magnet off of the back and reuse it on a new makeup container!